Please ensure regular participation (posting/engagement) to maintain your account. ×
The Bangladesh Defence Analyst Forum

Myanmar Air Force fixed wing combat

Maisson

• Administrators

Myanmar Air Force's Yak-130 trainer/light attack aircraft with various weapons include R-73E short-range air-to-air missiles, S-13 122mm rocket on B-13 rocket pod, S-8 80mm rocket on B-8 rocket pod and SNPU-130 pod 23mm gun pod.

VyfdxQF.jpg

uzT16vl.jpg

ByKGqiY.jpg

Right now MyAF outguns BAF no question.

Those SD-10 would present a problem.

It seems as if BAF is gonna rely on the Mig-29s for a bit longer and probably indicates any MRCA won't be DELIVERED for quite some time.

BD is at a significant disadvantage because of this.

1 hour ago, avicenna said:

Right now MyAF outguns BAF no question.

Those SD-10 would present a problem.

It seems as if BAF is gonna rely on the Mig-29s for a bit longer and probably indicates any MRCA won't be DELIVERED for quite some time.

BD is at a significant disadvantage because of this.

If BAF can not get a full squadron of MRCA by 2022 and moves ahead in procuring additional potent aircrafts in numbers we will be in a serious disadvantage. I guess catching up with our neighbours will be so hard in the next decade.

56 minutes ago, tahmid said:

If BAF can not get a full squadron of MRCA by 2022 and moves ahead in procuring additional potent aircrafts in numbers we will be in a serious disadvantage. I guess catching up with our neighbours will be so hard in the next decade.

Its one thing to sign a contract.  And another to have actual delivery of the platform.  And then another to achieve IOC.  And then to finally have full operational capability.

It takes TIME!  Forget about 2022.  You're looking at much later.  Especially if any Western origin new build fighters are the goal.

5 hours ago, avicenna said:

Its one thing to sign a contract.  And another to have actual delivery of the platform.  And then another to achieve IOC.  And then to finally have full operational capability.

It takes TIME!  Forget about 2022.  You're looking at much later.  Especially if any Western origin new build fighters are the goal.

Not long before, we used to hear Myanmar Air force uses mecenary pilots, blah, blah etc. Now they are ahead. We are just turning out to be just big mouths. I do not think we will have any advantage in the near future in terms of air warfare. And once the air superiority fails, navy and land forces will be sitting ducks. There is no solution for us to come out of this hole we find ourselves in currently.

8 hours ago, tahmid said:

Not long before, we used to hear Myanmar Air force uses mecenary pilots, blah, blah etc. Now they are ahead. We are just turning out to be just big mouths. I do not think we will have any advantage in the near future in terms of air warfare. And once the air superiority fails, navy and land forces will be sitting ducks. There is no solution for us to come out of this hole we find ourselves in currently.

We can counter them within 5 years but this will take a complete overhaul of BAF's mindset and attitude. 

It is not impossible. The way forward is to equip BAF with technology that Burma cannot access. I am suggesting a fleet fully integrated into the Western ecosysyem.

A fully electronically integrated fleet of Eurofighters/Super Hornets/Gripens armed with MBDA products and Western backing can eviscerate Burma and alter the course of South East Asian politics forever.

What BAF need to do is buddy up with BA and BN to present a coordinated case for achieving decisive and qualitative superiority over Burma to the government.

48 minutes ago, Alim said:

We can counter them within 5 years but this will take a complete overhaul of BAF's mindset and attitude. 

It is not impossible. The way forward is to equip BAF with technology that Burma cannot access. I am suggesting a fleet fully integrated into the Western ecosysyem.

A fully electronically integrated fleet of Eurofighters/Super Hornets/Gripens armed with MBDA products and Western backing can eviscerate Burma and alter the course of South East Asian politics forever.

What BAF need to do is buddy up with BA and BN to present a coordinated case for achieving decisive and qualitative superiority over Burma to the government.

Yes agreed.

Its essential to tap into the Western ecosystem and obtain what Myanmar can not.

I see no reason why Bangladesh can't field a technologically advanced capable Air Force if it wanted too.

23 hours ago, Alim said:

Couldn't agree with this more and from the looks of it, it seems like we are on that track. Sadly, wouldn't be able to kick out China just yet but we have started to warm up to our Western friends (US, UK, Italy and whatnot, not our neighbors). I feel not only this year but the next 3 years at least would be the AF's year. Please don't forget to be grateful towards our ex-CAS Esrar and the current one. 

On 2/14/2020 at 8:04 AM, avicenna said:

I think 2 full sqdn. of EuroFighter Typhoons for BAF and 8 EFT's for BN by 2025, so about 5 years, is doable. That is if we we go on a war footing and seriously start arming ourselves. it could be like this:

1. st year = 16 for BAF (or +4 for BN too)
  2. nd year = 8 for BN (or only 4 if we get the 4 extra ones for BN the previous year)
  3. rd year = 8 more for BAF
  4. th year = 8 more for BAF

A 5 year plan would give ample time to train pilots and ground maintenance crew, build maintenance facilities in country, ramp up spare parts and weapons inventory. This would allow for BAF (also BN's air arm) operating budget to increase over half a decade to be able to absorb the new inventory. Later, after 2025, we could try to add more to BAF if/when funds become available; while we can try to add 8 more to complete BN's naval strike sqdn.

Also, by new I mean used EFT's Trench ones upgraded to at least the latest Trench 2. The 8 going to BN should get whatever upgrade and weapons necessary for them to carry out their missions on BoB. I explained most of these in several posts in 'Bangladesh defence budget and your expecations'.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:31 PM, Alim said:

Bolded part, I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. As they seem to be able to circumvent whatever restrictions that's put on them and continue to grow inventory, and the only thing standing in their ability to add to their capability is their own incompetence. NATO countries doesn't seem to have placed full on sanctions on the Tatmadaw.

For an example, they bought 2 x ATR-42 aircraft, but had them upgraded with electronics suites and radars to turn them into full-fledged MPA. And then there is the LPD from RoK. China and Russia are also supplying them with whatever they want/can afford. Oh, I almost forgot the uncivilized people from the West supplying them with light torpedo's and sonars.

For the second bolded statement, I agree with everything except the part where you mention 3 different model of aircraft. Maybe we can stick with just one model, EFT, for both BAF and BN. This will not only reduce procurement costs, but also greatly reduce maintenance cost and complexity too.

BAF does need a single engined aircraft that's cheaper to operate (possibly maintenance too), but I'm not sure we can add 2 sqdn. before 2025 as we will have our hands full trying to induct 40 or so EFT's. Heck I'm not sure we could even afford a single sqdn. of the light aircraft during the EFT procurement.

Let me also openly air my apprehension about acquiring both types of aircraft from NATO countries. Although J-10C has very many unanswered questions regarding it's ability to integrate with EFT, able to use our data link, IFF and whatever SAM or AWACS we get. Questions like how reliable will China be if we used these on their little pet to our East? What about if we used them on our enemy to the West, would China still supply spares and replinish our weapons stores? Another is that J-10C is in the medium weight category, so basically like EFT but with a single engine.

If we could operate 60 or so EFT's with another 50 to 60 single engine (J-10C or whatever) aircraft, we can literally wipe the floor with the unciviled nation to our West. Bummers won't even be a a blip on our radars.

I really like your last last suggestion, as I myself have mentioned this in a few post. A comprehensive plan for all three branches up until 2025. The goal should be fixed on Arakan and solving the Rohinga issue permanently, as I mentioned here:

On 2/14/2020 at 10:27 PM, avicenna said:

Yes agreed.

Its essential to tap into the Western ecosystem and obtain what Myanmar can not.

I see no reason why Bangladesh can't field a technologically advanced capable Air Force if it wanted too.

As I already replied to @Alim above, I'm not sure how much of that is true.

Last line, try saying BAF and incompetence all in one sentence. But I do hope it can be turned around, by changing the culture at BAF, as alluded to by @Alim in one of earlier post.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:31 AM, TigerShark said:

Woe to those who believe Burma is Babgladesh's main threat.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:54 AM, Salted Cola said:

Our "Husband" is the biggest threat to our sovereignty and continued development.

Uncivilized enemy to the West is an existencial threat to us. While we were fighting an occupying army and trying achieve our independence, they were arming the terrorist Sheikh Mujib Bahini and sending it into BD to attack Muktijoddhas and civilians, killing many. Soon after December 16th, 1971 they started arming the illegal Bummer terrorists in CHT and also destabilizing rest of the country.

In 1994 BD forex reserves soared to more than 4 billion while these idiots forex reserve dwindled to less than a billion; setting off a chain of events, instigated by the enemy to the West, to destabilize BD which finally ended in 1996. Again they re-started their activities on the same day in 2001, even before election results were declared.

They whined like a tranny hooker to the US and NATO countries until the latter green lit the formers terrorist plans to destabilize the country and carried out throughout 2001-2006 (in 2002/2003 while visiting US Consulate/cultural center in Kolkata, deputy/assistant level State Department official & head of S. Asia affairs agreed to their machinations and terrorist plans. A few days later US State Dept. tried to walkback the statement from Kolkata by claiming they have independent foreign policy towards BD, and only because of a massive backlash in our media). Terrorist bombongs in 63 of the 64 districts and a fake suicide bombing (handler most likely died while transporting/placing the explosive and it accidentally detonated). The fake assination attempt with an Arges-84 grenade (lol never heard of anyone trying to assinate an individual with a hand granade in the middle of a large crowd; not to mention apparently the assasins used their own standard military issue granade so it could be 'oh so easily' linked back to them!). Creating HUJI and JMB; recruiting, training, arming, funding and supporting their nefarious activities to destabilise us.

Their continual funding, arming and supporting of a section of people within BD, the logi-botha terrorists, to setup a subserviant govt here (so that they can control our foreign and defense policy, not to mention loot the whole country), and started in October 2006, is still ongoing (we, the common citizens of this country, haven't decided to put a stop to it yet, unfortunately).

The uncivilized enemy to the East is a pissant irritant most of the time, but if we curb stomp them just once, they will behave properly for the next century or even two. That's what happened the last time when we sent an army to Arakan in 1429; all was quiet on that front for more than two centuries afterwards. Because of events starting in 1824 and finally ending in 1885, they were a good subservient bunch for more than a century. So now it is time once again, to remind them, that messing with us is not an option for them.

Didn't know exactly what to quote from the post above because it seems comprehensive enough. Don't forget Bangladesh has a foreign reserve of 33B. In case of emergencies, that can always be used to bring an insane amount of fighters to the arsenal. The only issue is with trained pilots and I feel Bangladesh does have a decent batch that can operate the upcoming MRCAs and MMRCAs. This also makes sense given the timing of these and I'm pretty sure EFT capable pilots were being trained from Esrar's time. Once the MRCA issue is knocked out of the park, pretty sure we shall be hearing about the MMRCA deal near the end of the year as the BoB is a very strategically important area for us.

• 3 months later...