Please ensure regular participation (posting/engagement) to maintain your account. ×
The Bangladesh Defence Analyst Forum

Bangladesh's war against drugs

• Administrators

‘Rohingya drug dealer’ killed in Cox’s Bazar ‘gunfight’

Independent Online/UNB

http://www.theindependentbd.com/post/233708

An unidentified Rohingya man, suspected of being a drug dealer, was killed in a reported gunfight with Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) in Teknaf upazila on Friday morning.

Lt Col Faisal Hasan Khan, commanding officer of Teknaf BGB-2, said they had been tipped off about a yaba smuggling bid.

“One of our teams took position at Jadimora mosque area in the upazila around 5am. Some people, carrying sacks, opened fire on BGB as soon as they saw the border guards,” he said.

After a skirmish, BGB found an unidentified man injured with gunshot wounds at the spot. He was taken to Teknaf Health Complex.

“Doctors there gave him first aid and recommended shifting him to the Sadar Hospital for better treatment,” Lt col Faisal said. “The man succumbed to his injuries at the district hospital.”

BGB members recovered a locally-made gun, bullet and 130,000 Yaba pills from the spot.

• Administrators

RAB destroys four poppy fields in Bandarban

Bandarban Correspondent,  bdnews24.com

Published: 24 Jan 2020 02:36 PM BdST Updated: 24 Jan 2020 04:55 PM BdST

The Rapid Action Battalion or RAB has destroyed four poppy fields in Bandarban's Ruma Upazila.

It came after a raid in the Upazila's Keokradong between 7 am and 12 pm on Friday, said RAB-7 chief Moshiur Rahman.

No arrests were made in the course of the raid.

Poppies were being cultivated across seven acres of land deep inside the forest in Keokradong, said the RAB official. The owners of the farm aimed to export poppies abroad illegally.

RAB recovered around 60kg of poppy nectar from the four fields, said Moshiur. Later, the elite police unit torched the fields and the nectar
Law enforcers have launched a search for the owner of the farm and a case will be started in connection with the matter, he added.    

• Administrators
1 minute ago, AntiDalal said:

While this is all fine, I wonder about the many innocents and anti government individuals silenced by the security forces under the guise of the so called war on drugs.

How many innocents are selling Yaba and cultivating poppy fields? Rather than blaming the government, which is fashionable by some citizens should support their good efforts. I have no problems people raising questions about financial irregularities but I think drugs are a worse menace than Islamist terrorism and should be dealt with using the full force of the state.

1 minute ago, Syed Amar Khan said:

How many innocents are selling Yaba and cultivating poppy fields? Rather than blaming the government, which is fashionable by some citizens should support their good efforts. I have no problems people raising questions about financial irregularities but I think drugs are a worse menace than Islamist terrorism and should be dealt with using the full force of the state.

I agree but what I'm to say is many powerful people are getting rid of rivals by using the war on drugs as a pretext. How do I know this ? I don't need to .... Being a Bangladeshi and knowing our countrymen I know full well how dirty some in power play. 

That said I must add, kill drug peddlers on sight and anyone caught consuming drugs should be given heavy punishment. Drug addicts and drunkards do nothing for the country, they're better dead than sucking up government resources. If they mend their ways and stay drug free good for them.

• Administrators

Rohingya killed in Cox's Bazar 'gunfight'

Abdul Aziz, Cox's Bazar
 Published at 02:31 pm January 31st, 2020

Three members of RAB were injured in the incident

A suspected Rohingya drug trader has been killed in a reported gunfight with Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) in Teknaf upazila of Cox's Bazar district.

The incident occurred in the Mantalia Puranpara area under Baharchara union of the upazila early Friday.

The deceased is Md Abdul Nasir, 28, son of Mohammad Zaker, resident of Balukhali Rohingya camp in Ukhia upazila.

RAB 15 Cox's Bazar Assistant director, in-charge of CPC 2 Hoaikyang Camp, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Shah Alam said: "Acting on a tip off, we conducted a drive in the area around 1:15 am.

"Sensing our presence, the drug traders opened fire on us, forcing us to fire back."

Nasir was caught in the line of fire and suffered bullet wounds while the others managed to flee the scene.

Later, he was taken to Teknaf Upazila Health Complex where doctors declared him dead. His body was sent to Cox's Bazar General Hospital morgue for autopsy, the ASP added.

Three members of RAB were injured in the gunfight.

RAB also recovered two one-shutter guns, five bullets, 66,915 yaba pills and Tk3,000 cash from the spot.

• Administrators

106 drug traders killed in Rab’s anti-narcotic drives so far: Home Minister

Independent Online/UNB

Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan on Wednesday said 106 drug traders have so far been killed in anti-narcotics drives conducted by Rapid Action Battalion (Rab).

He came up with the information while speaking at a programme at the Rab-7 headquarters in Patenga.

The minister said Rab and police have proved their efficiency in eliminating drugs and militancy from the country. “The smuggling and use of drugs have come down following their continuous drives.”

Following the Prime Minister’s instruction to take zero tolerance against drugs, elite force Rab continues its drives against drug items and drug trading, he said.

Asaduzzaman also said once the Sundarbans was the safe haven of pirates and forest robbers. “No tourist or local fisherman dared to enter the forest. But the Sundarbans has now been free from forest robbers following Rab’s efforts.”

Describing Cox’s Bazar as the main route of Yaba to the country, he said drug smuggling has been reduced following vigilance of law enforcement agencies, including Rab, police and Border Guard Bangladesh.

At the event, illegal drugs, including 370 litres of cocaine, were destroyed in the presence of the minister and a magistrate.

• Administrators

Rohingya ‘robber’ killed in Teknaf ‘gunfight’

A Rohingya man, described as a notorious robber by the law enforcement, was killed in a reported gunfight with members of the Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) in Teknaf on early Monday.

Nurul Amin was the son of Maktaul Hossain of Leda’s Nurali Para area.

Rab said the gunfight took place around 3 am at Nurali Para hills.

“Lance Naik Azharul Islam and Sepoy Md Sohel were injured in firing by a gang of robbers from the hill, prompting the elite force members to fire in self-defence,” said Rab-15 Teknaf camp’s company commander Lt Mirza Shahid Mahtab.

The robbers fled after the skirmish.

Mahtab said Nurul Amin had sustained gunshot wounds during the gunfight. “We took him to Teknaf Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries,” the Rab officer said.

Three locally-made guns, bullets, and 11 SIM cards of Myanmar mobile operators, among others, were recovered from the site, the elite force said.

Bangladesh is currently hosting more than 1.1 million Rohingyas who had fled their homeland in Myanmar’s Rakhine State over the years to escape persecution.

Many Rohingyas have been found to be involved in various criminal activities.