Please ensure regular participation (posting/engagement) to maintain your account. ×
The Bangladesh Defence Analyst Forum

• Administrators
  • Multi-role fighter aircraft x 16 [Confirmed unofficially as EFT]
  • Attack helicopter x 8 [Confirmed officially as AH-64E]
  • Primary trainers x 24 [Confirmed by Law Minister at Parliament]
  • Light transport aircraft x 2 [Confirmed by Law Minister at Parliament]
  • Guided missile frigate x 6 [Built under CDDL]
  • Offshore patrol vessel x 6 [Built under CDDL]
  • Anti-submarine warfare helicopter x 2 [MH-60R confirmed officially in pipeline]
  • VVIP helicopter x 3 [Advertised, under negotiation for AW101]
  • Utility helicopter x 2 [Confirmed as Bell 429 officially]
  • Light tanks x 44 [Confirmed as VT-5 officially]
  • MRAP x 50 [Confirmed as International MaxxPro Dash officially, deal already signed]
  • MRAP mounted jammers x 15 [Confirmed by Law Minister at Parliament]
  • Air surveillance radar x 2 [Confirmed by Law Minister at Parliament] 
  • Counter-drone radar x 2 [Confirmed by Law Minister at Parliament]

This is the month of January ending. More to come.

3 minutes ago, Patriot_68 said:

Initial stages of OPV construction process at CDDL have already started that's what I have been told by an ex-naval officer.  

You mean like keel laying? Based on which design? Partnering with which company?

That’s a buzz kill, AFD rejecting AW-152 wildcats and going for MH-60R Sea Hawks instead. Maybe the Seahawks are from surplus US military stock. The price must have been substantially reduced due to that factor.

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Jetfore said:

That’s a buzz kill, AFD rejecting AW-152 wildcats and going for MH-60R Sea Hawks instead. Maybe the Seahawks are from surplus US military stock. The price must have been substantially reduced due to that factor.

Bangladesh Navy is purchasing brand new helicopters through FMS route and not EDA (surplus).

On 1/31/2020 at 1:44 AM, Syed Amar Khan said:

The realisation of our collection dreams are finally coming true with 2020 set to be a grand year for the Bangladesh Air Force in particular.

Patiently and eagerly looking forward to it. I hope BAF accomplishes and realises all the dream acquisitions on their part and on our part as well. 

On 2/1/2020 at 6:28 AM, Jetfore said:

Patiently and eagerly looking forward to it. I hope BAF accomplishes and realises all the dream acquisitions on their part and on our part as well. 

Let's hope the next 3 years is a dream year for the BAF. Finally, we'd be able to overcome the decades we were behind and be ahead for once.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:54 AM, Syed Amar Khan said:
  • Primary trainers x 24 [Confirmed by Law Minister at Parliament]
  • Light transport aircraft x 2 [Confirmed by Law Minister at Parliament]
  • MRAP mounted jammers x 15 [Confirmed by Law Minister at Parliament]

Primary trainers | Light transport aircraft | MRAP mounted jammers - what are the possible models?

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Hasnat Shahriyar Nahin said:

Primary trainers | Light transport aircraft | MRAP mounted jammers - what are the possible models?

• Primary trainer: Hurkus-B - BAF officials have not visited any other countries for primary trainers from what I know.
  • Light transport aircraft: Let L410NG - Follow on order for more advanced version reportedly outfitted in VVIP profile.
  • MRAP with jammers: Cobra II - Its a follow on order with eventual requirement for 800+ units of Cobra LAV.

8 minutes ago, Syed Amar Khan said:
  • Primary trainer: Hurkus-B - BAF officials have not visited any other countries for primary trainers from what I know.
  • Light transport aircraft: Let L410NG - Follow on order for more advanced version reportedly outfitted in VVIP profile.
  • MRAP with jammers: Cobra II - Its a follow on order with eventual requirement for 800+ units of Cobra LAV.

From the quantities, it seems like Cobras are gonna be more generally deployed MRAPs and the MaxxPro ones are gonna be for special units? Please forgive me if this was answered before but I'm a bit confused.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Darth Nihilus said:

From the quantities, it seems like Cobras are gonna be more generally deployed MRAPs and the MaxxPro ones are gonna be for special units? Please forgive me if this was answered before but I'm a bit confused.

Are you trying to suggest BD Army is wasting its resources?

To save from further confusion there is a wide gulf of difference between Cobra and Cobra II (follow up on it via Google search). MaxxPro Dash are purpose built MRAPs and will be used as MRAPs for mechanised infantry (the regular, and not some imagined special unit).

3 minutes ago, Syed Amar Khan said:

Are you trying to suggest BD Army is wasting its resources?

To save from further confusion there is a wide gulf of difference between Cobra and Cobra II (follow up on it via Google search). MaxxPro Dash are purpose built MRAPs and will be used as MRAPs for mechanised infantry (the regular, and not some imagined special unit).

Oh no definitely not wasting resources. Army has been buying quality stuff and there's no argument to that. The quantities were what confused me. I meant Cobra IIs when I said Cobras. I just wanted to know which divisions will be using it and if there's an inherent difference in their abilities that's all. Thanks for clearing that out.