The Muslim world is no stranger to conflict, while there are no formal military alliances such as that of NATO, these forces have increasingly sophisticated military arsenals and battlefield experience most other countries cannot match.
This is our take on the Top 10 Muslim-majority countries Armies (Regular ground forces – reservists & paramilitary forces excluded).
- Turkey – Most technologically advanced, NATO grade with global aspirations
- Pakistan – Nuclear power with large number of troops
- Iran – Large number of regular/reserve forces with strong R&D
- Egypt – Large number of troops, sophisticated arsenal
- Indonesia – Large number of troops with expertise in jungle & amphibious warfare
- Bangladesh – Some of the best trained troops with growing manpower, UNPKO specialist
- Saudi Arabia – Sophisticated arsenal with large defence budget
- Morocco – Respectable number of troops
- Iraq – Experienced in intense level of war for decades & equipped with sophisticated arsenal
- Nigeria – Battle experienced, sizeable troops and actively deployed