Chattogram port moves up Lloyd’s List

Chattogram port moves up Lloyd’s List

The Chattogram port increased its handling efficiency to become the 58th busiest container port among 100 top ports in the world according to Lloyd’s List, which is the world’s oldest journal for ports and shipping data.

Chattogram port handled a total of 3,088,187 TEUs (twenty equivalent units) of containers in 2019, which was a 6.3% increase from the previous year’s handling.

The Lloyd’s List noted the increase in handling was driven by readymade garments exports from Bangladesh.

A total of 24 Chinese ports are on the Lloyd’s rankings while two Indian ports — Jawaharlal Nehru Port and Mundra port — secured 33rd and 37th positions respectively.

The Sri Lankan Port of Colombo ranked 24th in the list.

Chattogram Port is now 27 steps ahead of Pakistan’s Port of Karachi which secured 85th position.

Of the total goods shipped through Chittagong port, 27% was container shipped while the remaining 73% was shipped through general vessels (bulk, break bulk, and tanker).

Chattogram Port Authority (CPA) representatives noted the port expansion works are underway to further improve the port’s handling in the future with projects such as the Patenga Terminal, Bay Terminal and Matarbari Port to further improve the port’s overall ranking in the future.

Bangladesh’s service and industrial sector growths have ensured the rise of Chattogram Port, which handles almost 90% of Bangladesh’s export-import trade.

The port is one of the oldest in the world and is the busiest on the coastline of the Bay of Bengal and second busiest in the overall region of countries dependent on the Bay of Bengal.

Neighbouring countries such as India, Nepal and Bhutan also use the port for transshipment. The Bangladesh government changed the name of Chittagong to Chattogram. Currently both names are accepted spellings with no deadline set for as to when the authorities will stop using the “Chittagong” spelling.

707 Shares
error: © 2020 Bangladesh Defence & Security Analysis. All rights reserved.